Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Saint Training by Elizabeth Fixmer

In the Spring of 1967, Mary Clare O'Brian, a sixth grader at the Saint Maria Goretti School, thought she wanted to be a nun.  Actually, she wants to be Mother Superior of the Good Shepherd Nuns.  So she begins to correspond with Mother Superior of the Saint Mary Magdalene Convent to find out what qualifications she needs and how to apply for the job.

Mary Clare is from a very large family - Mom has a new baby every year.  Mom is pregnant again, but Dad isn't happy because there are already so many mouths to feed - and a good Catholic education is very expensive.  Mary Clare, as the oldest girl, has to help out at home a lot.  There's always laundry, diapers, bottles and babies to keep her busy.

The late '60s are turbulent times.  There's a war in Vietnam, a host of Civil Rights issues, and The Feminist Mystique.  Even the Vatican II is changing everything.  One brother wants to go to war; another would rather go to Canada. Mom wants to be more than "just a housewife."

This book is like a window back in time to 1967.  I'm not Catholic so I don't share Mary Clare's experiences with nuns and the Catholic school.  But I was in the 7th grade in 1967, so I can most definitely relate to the times and the angst Mary Clare feels as she begins to grow up. 

I can also relate to the large family in a way because my Mom is one of twelve kids.  I've grown up hearing Mom and all my aunts and uncles talk about what it was like to grow up in the depression era with so many mouths to feed, the hand-me-down clothes and never-ending chores.

No matter what your background, you'll find Saint Training to be a very enjoyable, quick read and it is currently on the Kindle Best Sellers "Free" list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment